Monday, April 29, 2013

4/29: Weigh-In Day!

On Mondays, I wake up and weigh myself in to see how I did the past week.  I tried a new routine this week by going to the gym and jogging/running on different days. Confusing my body worked because I've lost 4 pounds! :D I haven't been out of the 190's in such a long time and I almost cried when I saw that number this morning. I didn't believe what the scale said at first, so I weighed myself again and it was right! haha! I started to get discouraged about 3 weeks ago because I was monitoring what I ate and worked out constantly. I was stuck at 193 and my body was unable lose anything. I remember thinking after weighing in last Monday the following: "What's the point of dieting and working out if it's not working?" I almost punched the wall in frustration and I was about to change to get in my car and drive to Coldstone, Caribou, and Chick-fil-a (It's the 3 C's! haha!). I realized once I got off the scale that going out to eat/drink unhealthy foods was not wise. You do not want to eat out of frustration when you haven't lost weight, folks. If you're struggling with that I know where you're coming from. I ate because I was frustrated on past diets because I didn't see any results. Your body takes time to adjust to it's new lifestyle: it's not used to eating the right foods and working out all the time. Once your body realizes that your new way of eating and working out is permanent it will show results. I think the reason why my body was not responding to weight loss for 3 weeks was because it got used to Zumba.

      Last Tuesday, I walked/jogged 2 miles with my Zumba instructor and did 30 minutes of circuit training at the gym. On Wednesday, I had my Zumba class from 7:30-8:30. On Thursday, I went to the gym again and did 30 minutes of circuit training. On Friday, I walked 4.5 miles with some Zumba friends. Lastly, I walked 2 miles with my mom on Saturday. My body saw the change and I saw a difference when I weighed myself early on Thursday by losing 2 pounds, and again when I lost 2 pounds this morning. 

   I am so happy that I've lost 4 pounds this week. God has been gracious and has helped me stay on track. This journey would not be possible without Him. Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." Lastly, I want to thank all of you for keeping me accountable since I began my journey on February 17th. I am so thankful that God gave me friends to encourage me to keep going! 

New short-term goal: be at 179 before May 23rd. 

-B 

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! You are doing great and I am so happy your new routine showed you some obvious results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats girl, that is so awesome to hear! Very good job, I bet you were very happy when you saw that number! I would've been as well. [: Good self-control, keep up the great work my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Proud of you, praising God with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're awesome, Bethany! I'm so glad you didn't give up out of frustration and go to the three C's, haha! You would have felt horrible afterwards and would have wanted to reverse what you did. Whenever you're tempted to do that again, think of all the weight you've already lost. But you're right, sometimes we do get stuck and wonder why the pounds aren't coming off even when we're doing everything we should. One thing might be that you're really putting on a lot of muscle with the weight training and other exercising you're doing. Muscle weighs more than fat does! Anyway, that happened to me once while I was doing weight training and dieting, too. Then I realized that I was simply replacing fat with muscle. Another thing I've learned is that even though I only count calories, I should still be aware of the fat I eat. One large egg can have 5 grams of fat and one slice of processed cheese can be quite high, as well. I've learned to switch to egg whites (I use "Better than Eggs") and to use Kraft 2% cheese slices instead of the regular ones. I don't really see you eating too much fat (our brains need it to function), but still you might want to think about that. Hope this info/tips might help a little when you don't see the weight you had hoped for. Still, 11 pounds is super awesome for a little over 2 months. About one pound a week is wonderful! You don't want to lose too fast. I've heard it's better to take the weight off slowly because you're more likely to keep it off that way. I'm so very proud of you!!! --Mrs. Barham

    ReplyDelete