Friday, April 26, 2013

"All it takes is faith, trust, and little bit of pixie dust." - Peter Pan

Pretty catchy title for my first blog post, right? As you can tell from by biography, I am a Walt Disney World PhotoPass cast member in Disney's Magic Kingdom. The title of my first post seemed fitting with my life don't you think? :) I started my career with Disney by participating on two college internships in 2010 and 2012. When I was a very young girl, I remember telling my mom that I wanted to work for Mickey one day. I can proudly say that God paved the way for that dream to happen eighteen years later. My parents took me to Disney World for the first time in 1994 and I was one ecstatic 3 year old. I remember that trip as if it happened yesterday: we were on our way to the airport to drop off my nana and boarded the plane with her to say goodbye. I didn't think anything of it because my mind was focused on her and what she was saying. Shortly after I sat down I began to panic; I thought we were stuck on the plane and that was not appealing to me. I remember my parents surprising me with a folder that had Disney World pictures inside. When they told me we were all going to Disney World I was overjoyed (knowing me... I probably cried tears of joy, but then again... I'm not so sure). Meeting Mickey Mouse, my current boss, was one memory I will never forget either. I think Mickey Mouse was our first stop in the park that day, but I could be mistaken since it's been awhile. In 1994, the meet and greet for Mickey was in his house back when it was called Toontown. I remember running up to Mickey before my parents could even stop me and he gave me the biggest hug. I don't remember our conversation in its entirety, but I believe it had to do with working for him. "I want to work for you one day, Mickey!" That special moment was one I will never forget. I am so happy to have a picture from that special day to put in my scrapbook.


What do I do when I'm not working in the park? In 2009, I graduated from high school and have been a college student ever since. I knew I wanted to major in film and photography long before graduation. I've always had a passion for capturing things and to tell a story with them -- that is one of the reasons why I started my business. My business is named after my experiences with Disney. Any thoughts about the name??? 

.............

Magical Moment Photography! :) As the owner of MMP, I photograph, process orders, edit, answer emails, and more. Photography is one of my favorite hobbies and I am thrilled that I can do it for a living. 

Why did I make this blog? I always spent my childhood in a ballet studio with numerous children, teenagers, and adults. I was a healthy weight for my age and developed more muscle as the years went on. In 2005, I had to leave the company to focus on my education and everything started to turn into fat.  I remember gaining a lot of weight at one point in my life and it still scares me when I see that photograph every day on my refrigerator. I've lost a ton of weight since that picture was taken, but I still want to aim for a healthy weight.  I've tried numerous diets in the past and always found it impossible to continue. I didn't have the accountability I wanted and I didn't see the results, so my mentality was to quit almost as soon as I began. 
                 Clothes I wanted to wear have never been able to fit me and I couldn't do a lot of things my friends could do. I never wanted to go into department stores because I knew I'd have to try on clothes before bringing anything home. I remember wanting to punch the mirror in the dressing room because I was disgusted at what I saw in the mirror looking back at me. 
                 In 2012, I got a phone call from one of my best friends with news of her engagement and the invitation to be her bridesmaid this October. I couldn't believe it at first because it still hadn't crossed my mind that I'm an adult whose friends are getting engaged and/or married. I was beyond thrilled for her and I was very honored that she asked me to be a bridesmaid. In January, my program ended and I came home just in time for the 2013 semester to begin. It wasn't until the middle of February that my health hit me in the face. "I'm going to be a bridesmaid in October, and our Disney Cruise is two weeks after." I said, "I have to do something." I think the reason why my past diets failed was because of a lack of motivation. I never really had anything to work towards, so I can see why I never stuck with anything. My bridesmaids dress is hanging in my closet as I type this and the special day for her debut is October 12th. I've lost 9 pounds since my journey began and my goal is to lose 35 altogether by October 12. 

Here it is in a nutshell: the purpose of this blog is to document my journey. I don't know if people are going to join my journey by following this, but I know this is a record for me to read through a year from now.  A year to look back at my highest of highs and lowest of lows. A year to look back at my first shopping spree five dress sizes smaller. A year to look back at spending my first cruise looking healthy. A year to look back and thank my family, friends, followers, and God for encouraging me to keep going. 

(Collage made on February 17, 2013)


I want to encourage those of who are struggling to not give up. You're beautiful no matter what this world has to say. Remember: beauty is not about the outside, beauty is about what's in your heart. 


6 comments:

  1. Bethany, I just read your first post on your new blog, and I thought it was absolutely beautiful. You have such a wonderful way with words, and as I was reading it, I could hear your sweet voice speaking in my head instead of my own. I look forward to more of your posts as you continue on with your journey. You might know that I lost a few pounds after my surgery in December (a great boost, haha), and I've continued on with a little journey of my own to lose more. I'm actually doing okay on my "diet", probably because I did have that boost. However, your posts (both on this blog and on your Facebook page) have still encouraged me a great deal. I love your beautiful faith, joy, and enthusiasm. You really are an inspiration, and I'm very, very proud of you!--Mrs. Barham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Mrs. Barham! I've been updating my Facebook constantly and figured it would be easier to document everything on a blog. I have two friends who run blogs and I've always wanted to start one. I think it's a great way to document a journey and a great incentive to stay motivated. I can't wait to read my entries a year from now and see how much I've lost! Lastly, I'm very proud of you for what you're doing. I know it's not always easy to keep going, but I know you can do it! You're an inspiration to a lot of people for continuing on your own journey. Thank you so much for your encouragement! I've truly enjoyed getting to know you better over the past few years. I think it's wonderful how you strive to have conversations with someone and get to know them. Not very many people like talking to others, so it's an encouragement when you do. I've learned so much from you and I always look forward to seeing you.

      Delete
  2. I love you! Keep up this amazing work, this blog is such a great idea. Loved reading every word you wrote, beautiful girl. Can't wait to have you stand up next to me at the wedding in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too! Thank you for being such a fantastic friend by supporting me since our friendship began. My goal is to update it weekly and I hope I can keep it going. I can't wait to stand next to you on your special day! :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great step on your journey. Keep us posted, and remember, baby steps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proud of you as always, Bethany! You put your kind, encouraging heart into everything you do! Looking forward to being active together when you come down here!

    ReplyDelete